Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

18 Dec 2018 04:54 #74387 by HenkSeevinck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2018 11:25 #74391 by Quentin

More
02 Jan 2019 08:36 #74422 by Drakie1
I am planning my second attempt to the ultimate hike ....... the Drakensberg Grand Traverse. All relevant aspects considered, this will be done over a period of 12 days at the end of April, beginning of May 2019.

The route planning is done on the basis of the tracks for the Speed Traverse and considering the tracks from my previous attempt. Upon finishing my plan I would like to post it here and would appreciate any suggestions from the more experienced DGT hikers.

My biggest challenge for now is to find other hikers to join me on this epic hike. Anyone interested please contact me. The time for preparation for a hike of this magnitude is relatively short from now to April.

More
02 Jan 2019 09:25 #74423 by ghaznavid
The mountain backpackers club often organises a DGT around that time of year, so you can always look at that as an option.

Have you read over the tons of GT tips on this site, but writeups? That is your best source of info.

Re route selection: I would suggest not taking the speed line through certain key bits, such as Ifidi, Mnweni Cutback, Yodeler's (i.e. Didima ridge over Yodeler's Cascades) and Jarateng. If you are taking 12 days, you may as well take the more scenic line. You can always default back to the faster line if you are running behind schedule.

@Mods: perhaps this should be merged with "whose doing a DGT" thread?

Getting to the top is nothing, the way you do it is everything – Royal Robins

More
02 Jan 2019 10:14 #74424 by Drakie1
Thank you for the prompt reply ghaznavid.

Yes, I have been in contact with Mountain Backpackers. Nothing has yet been planned or decided regarding a DGT for 2019.

As part of my route planning I have included some alternatives to certain sections of the Speed Traverse. Just have to mention that 12 days is probably already stretching my abilities ...... I am 61 years old, but still training hard! LOL. Being an active farmer also helps. 
I have done most of the standard hiking trails like Otter, Fanie Bota. Fish River, Naukluft, Malalotja etc ......  but none of these can compare to hiking in the Berg. Doing the Traverse is a personal goal!

More
02 Jan 2019 23:34 #74431 by intrepid
@Drakie1, to help you find hiking partners you are welcome to send our VE and Drakensberg Facebook pages a message and I will re-share it from there so that it comes up in the feed. Scroll right down to the bottom of these pages to find the Facebook links.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
03 Jan 2019 09:39 #74433 by Drakie1
Thank you intrepid. I will certainly do so.
To find the right people is almost more difficult than the hike itself. LOL.

More
03 Jan 2019 20:23 #74441 by intrepid
I have posted your message on our FB pages and I see within minutes there already was a response. Hope you get sorted with partners. Please scroll up on this thread and check your private messages on VE from those that said they had sent them too.

In future anyone looking for hiking partners is welcome to message our FB pages and I will keep re-sharing them. Its a good use for those pages. Please send them as public posts to the page (not as a private message) as it is easier to re share the original message that way.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
03 Jan 2019 20:39 #74442 by Drakie1
Thank you for all your help intrepid ...... it is much appreciated. 

More