Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

06 Feb 2020 15:21 #75678 by Coversall
Wow stunning shots above! I'm in the early stages of planning a DGT this year. So just saying hello. No plans set in stone at the moment. Would ideally hike this side of winter.

Will be coming over from the UK. I have a fair bit of hiking experience, I've hiked a good bit abroad and have completed a number of routes that involve off trail travel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2021 10:06 #77024 by advocate_gerrie_nel
Hi all

I am considering to do the DGT in 2022. Am looking at various options, incl. guided and unguided, supported and unsupported, small group vs big group, etc. I have two friends in KZN that are guides and could help with guiding, logistics and resupply, but that comes at a cost. 

My question is this: is anyone aware whether the MCSA still does the DGT regularly, and whom to contact for such information? I imagine it would be sections in KZN or Gauteng? If there is an MCSA group planning the DGT for 2022, it might be an option to tag along. I am an MCSA member, qualified guide, first responder, etc. Based in the Western Cape.

Thank you

More
07 Jul 2021 19:33 - 07 Jul 2021 19:34 #77026 by grae22
Hi Gerrie

The MCSA KZN section doesn't organise DGTs, we certainly have members who do them - I imagine you may well get in touch with them on this site.

The Mountain Backpackers Club is quite active in organising DGTs, though, I believe - maybe get in touch with them (www.mountainbackpackers.co.za/).
Last edit: 07 Jul 2021 19:34 by grae22.

More
08 Aug 2021 18:41 #77079 by Dirkstoltz1!
Gerrie, we are planning on doing it from 31st Oct till about 12th NOV. 

More
09 Sep 2021 10:52 #77128 by Ruanoosie
Hey.
We are planning to do DGT from 17 to 26 October. Four guys in the team.

We are also trying to sort out the transport at the end. Friends will drop us off at Sentinel start but we need a lift from Bushmans to Durban at the end.

Any advice?

More
09 Sep 2021 15:22 #77129 by ghaznavid

We are also trying to sort out the transport at the end. Friends will drop us off at Sentinel start but we need a lift from Bushmans to Durban at the end.

Any advice?

Last DGT I did, I just left my car at the start and walked back when I was done. Ok, not the most helpful comment ever, I know - but it is true (although technically my most recent completed traverse was the hike back to my car).

But jokes aside - contact Underberg Express (google has their contact details). We used them on my first DGT to get back to the start and I've used them for logistics on the Giants Cup Trail as well. Otherwise Baz Bus may be a viable option, although I've never used them - I think they go to Underberg, although not sure if they still exist in the time of covid. Also consider staying at Silverstreams for a night after your GT - so if something goes wrong and you finish a day late, you won't have missed your transport.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riaan300

More