Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

04 May 2023 09:25 - 04 May 2023 09:27 #78500 by tonymarshall
Although as Jonathan says, records are not really being kept of the ages of DGT participants, I would consider that hardly anyone over 60 has done an unsupported DGT, and that this list would be one person (you) or very short if more than one. At 62, you may well be the oldest (and only over 60) to complete an unsupported DGT.
Last edit: 04 May 2023 09:27 by tonymarshall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2023 10:09 #78501 by Drakie1
Thanks for your reply Tony.

I have but one regret ...... I was introduced to hiking at a very late stage of my life. Did my first base camp hike (Tepelkop) at the age of 59. Never knew people hike for enjoyment. ????

More
10 May 2023 19:30 #78521 by Papa Dragon

Although as Jonathan says, records are not really being kept of the ages of DGT participants, I would consider that hardly anyone over 60 has done an unsupported DGT, and that this list would be one person (you) or very short if more than one. At 62, you may well be the oldest (and only over 60) to complete an unsupported DGT.

Hmmmm.. brain gears working here..

The following user(s) said Thank You: BergDog

More
10 Jul 2023 08:44 #78568 by JoMil
Hi everyone!

A small group of us is looking to do the DGT (N-S) in september this year. Our provisional plan is to start hiking on the 23rd (early) and finish on sunday 1st October (so 8 nights, 9 days). We are all in our early 30s, none of us have done a DGT before- however, the DGT is a bucket list item for us, and we plan to put in as much training and prep as we can to make sure the trip is a success. 

Was wondering if there is anyone who might be keen to join (just in terms of the safety in numbers aspect). Can't offer DGT expertise, but can offer good banter and laughs (and there are a couple of doctors in our group, which could be handy). Myself and my husband live in the Central berg, so logistics shouldn't be too difficult. We are hoping to arrange a resupply at Grays/ champagne castle, and again @ Sani pass top.

Give me a shout if anyone is keen!

More
10 Dec 2023 14:59 #78795 by Rudolf13
Hi.
I would like to know if you did your DGT, and how it went. I am also interested in doing it.
Thanks
Rudolf

More
21 Dec 2023 04:55 #78803 by Drakie1
Hi Rudolf, do you have any plans in place already? What is your level of hiking experience in the Drakensberg, or elsewhere?

More
26 Dec 2023 12:40 #78810 by Drakie1
Are you interested in doing a DGT?

Next year March/April promises to be the highlight of my Drakensberg hiking. I am planning to do a back to back DGT as a fundraiser for CHOC (Childhood Cancer Foundation of SA). 

My first DGT kicked off in April 2019 at the age of 62. Except for a meal and sleepover at Sani Top Backpackers this was an unsupported DGT per definition...... doing all six peaks. After starting off at Sentinel with a 22 kg backpack, three of us finished 13 days later at Bushman's Neck.

This time around I will join a group of "Over 60's" (Organized by Richard Hunt and Elaine Bushell) for a South to North GT and upon completion thereof I hope to turn around and do the second leg, an unsupported North to South GT.

At this point in time I am still looking for experienced hikers to join me for the North to South leg...... anyone interested? If any of you, the highly experienced berg hikers, are interested to become part of the N-S Traverse and even lead the hike, it would make it so much easier for me to just concentrate on finishing this epic hike. Please guys, this is for the children battling cancer! The N-S leg starts on the 11th of April 2024 and I hope to finish in 10 days.

After consultation with Intrepid I got the go ahead to post the link for my fundraiser here........ a big thank you Chris. The link also contains more info on exactly what I am planning to do. Also check out our Facebook page "Mountains for Minors".

mandrillapp.com/track/click/30970125/www.givengain.com?p=eyJzIjoidnNLMFM3OFkzeTlBNEdURk5RX1lycDFDWEJnIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDk3MDEyNSxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy5naXZlbmdhaW4uY29tXFxcL2FjdGl2aXN0XFxcLzg4NDM0NFxcXC9wcm9qZWN0c1xcXC82NTMzMVxcXC9cIixcImlkXCI6XCJmM2Y4OTlhYzBkNmM0NTk3ODEzYzkwMDEyMjZhOWJkOFwiLFwidXJsX2lkc1wiOltcIjY3NTlhNjYzMmRhMzkxOTE1NTFmNzQ1ZjkxYzk1NzI2MmE1MDg3Y2VcIl19In0

More
03 Jan 2024 07:22 #78828 by Drakie1
Anyone interested in a 10 day, North to South DGT? We are planning a 10 day, unsupported hike. Starting 11th April 2024.

More
20 Jan 2024 17:09 #78862 by BergDog
I have done a few small skirmishes along bits of the route over the last few years. I'm planning on doing a fun run, solo in 2025 - fitness, injuries, and life permitting. Any advice, or anything really, is very welcome.

More
02 Mar 2024 15:02 #78911 by trevorholmes
My wife and I are looking at doing the North-South traverse on 18 March.  Are you still intending to hike it on 11 April? We are experienced Drakensberg hikers

More