Who is doing or has done the Grand Traverse

20 Jul 2017 11:44 #71897 by Stijn

Interestingly Ryan Sandes doesn't recognise Andrew's 45h08 time as it was not north to south. Who actually gets the final say on this one?

That's the first I hear of that - source?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2017 20:00 #71901 by ghaznavid
Facebook conversation with him. The rules specify n-s. His exact words were something along the lines of "it's not the same course".

More
21 Jul 2017 07:03 #71903 by Stijn
Hmmm... agreed that it's not quite the same course, but since there are so few attempts on the entire thing, I have always felt that the minor differences can be lumped together as one record.

Sure, we can acknowledge details like direction taken, solo vs group, etc - as long as the style of the attempt is transparent, people can make their own judgements on the relative merits of each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AdrianT

More
21 Jul 2017 08:11 - 21 Jul 2017 08:12 #71904 by tonymarshall
I'm totally in agreement with Stijn's comments and approach.

Stijn, assuming you know who compiled the rules, would there be merit in attempting to get the wording changed to 'officially' recognise DGT speed attempts in either direction, all the other conditions remaining in effect?
Last edit: 21 Jul 2017 08:12 by tonymarshall.

More
21 Jul 2017 11:10 #71907 by Stijn
Most of the online references to the rules seem to have been taken from my write-up of our first attempt back in 2006 (hence the N-S bias). The only vaguely "official" place these are listed (that I know of) is: www.featsa.co.za/2011/07/feats-on-foot/

I'll chat to Lisa to edit that content. Let me know if there's anywhere else?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tonymarshall

More
21 Jul 2017 12:06 #71909 by DesPorter
See MCSA journal number 102 for 1999 for the write up of the original challenge by Gavin Raubenheimer. He did it north to south and incidentally all summit traverses I have done have also been north to south but could also have been done south to north. The main reason for my doing them north to south was that the northern starting point was closer to home.

More
21 Jul 2017 16:27 #71911 by ghaznavid
I agree with Stijn as well, it most certainly isn't Comrades where there are enough times to justify separate records, and notably the course isn't exactly the same there either. For that matter, it is varied from time to time, yet still considered comparable.

Also with a record like Everest, the different sides meet at the top, but most of the route is different. A DGT route either way can be done by the identical route - and the rules allow enough variations that direction is less of a factor than a call such as Yodelers vs Didima Gully.

I guess the question is - will previous record holders accept this rule change?

More
05 Dec 2017 19:24 - 05 Dec 2017 19:25 #72453 by Papa Dragon

To the best of my knowledge, this has never been done in its entirety

Jack Davis, Michelle Davis and Andrew Booth ran a 'Lower Traverse' over Christmas last year, Bushman's Nek to Royal Natal. facebook.com/drakensberglowertraverse

Any idea of route for the Lower Traverse, or where I could find out? Hiking, not running :D

Thanks
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 19:25 by Papa Dragon.

More
10 Dec 2018 08:35 #74340 by relihanm
End year GT anyone?

It has been a while since my first khulu-bagging GT with ghaznavid and andrewp www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/grand-traverse-write-ups/55708-gt2014-15-don-t-follow-the-lights.html?start=0  and I was keen to do the standard North to South GT within a week over the upcoming Christmas - New Year (2018-2019) block.  With ghaznavid overseas and andrewp otherwise occupied in that time I was wondering if anyone else, or any group, is planning to do a GT like this that I could join, or could we set up something?  I have only done 2 berg hikes this year so far, but have arranged to join the Mountain Club Mweni hike this coming weekend to evaluate my hiking preparedness.  I have been doing CrossFit and cycling this year and should not be unfit otherwise.  I am more worried about feet trauma especially since I just bought new hiking boots that I have not worn yet to replace my previous boots that shrunk to much after stupidly trying to dry them out in an oven after a wet hike.

Anyone interested out there is welcome to give me a call (084-5119445).  Alternatively, I could try to schedule some Berg trad climbing as an alternative within this time slot, but I have not climbed for quite a while so it would have to be conservative grades and I have not picked any routes.

More
14 Dec 2018 07:42 #74378 by Drakie1
I am looking for someone to join me on a Drakensberg Grand Traverse at the end of April 2019. 
This will be my second attempt. I attempted it together with a friend of mine in April 2018. Unfortunately he developed inflammation in his right ankle and we had to quit after six days, coming down Organ Pipes pass, down to Cathedral Peak Hotel.

Anyone interested?

More