The upcoming hikes thread

25 Apr 2021 16:31 #76791 by DanielJNaude
Hi All,
Me and a friend are planning on going up Grays pass between 16 and 20 June. So far we are only two people. It will be both our first time doing a multiday hike in the berg and on top of that nogal in the winter. We are trying to get some more of our friend to come as well, but I thought it would be nice if a veteran of the berg from the forum also wants to go and potentially accompany us. Hence this post letting you guys know. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2021 10:16 #76827 by DeonS
Replied by DeonS on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Might see you on the trail - I am doing Champagne Castle with 3 clients 19 to 21 Jun

More
13 Jun 2021 11:33 #76985 by DanielJNaude
How do I book for a multi-day hike? Does it happen online or can we just book when we get there? We are starting from monks cowl. Does someone know what the cost is for 2 nights hike? I am struggling to find info of this online.

More
13 Jun 2021 15:43 #76986 by Smurfatefrog
You can arrive and pay then, unless if you want to book a cave or hut, then do that beforehand by calling the relevant reserve.
Its R80 pppn
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanielJNaude

More
06 Jul 2021 13:43 #77022 by S3chaba
Replied by S3chaba on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Hello everyone, 

A friend & I are planning a 70km/3 day trail run from Sentinel (via Witsieshoek Lodge) to Pins Pass 6 - 9 August. We're reconing the Drakensberg Northern traverse route to Cathedral Peak hotel that we plan to run sometime in future. Out of excitement we're even considering just doing the full DNT route in September.

We've no experience in trail running the Berg but we Winter hike around Ships Prow, Mafadi, Leslie, Rockeries, Mponjwana/Mnweni, Ifidi a few times & are fairly fit as we run road marathons & MTB XC & Ultra endurance races regularly.

Questions:
1. should we do the mini route in August or the full DNT in September? fitness levels & equipment are in place (except for emergency GPS phones if necessary)
2. would it be safer to have a support team leave ahead of us & set up camp before our arrival? we're thinking this might take away from the adventure of self sufficiency
3. anyone keen to join us let me know

Thank you all
Sech

More