Sleeping bags

05 Aug 2010 10:31 #1561 by gollum
Replied by gollum on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Reading this makes me realise it's time for an upgrade...

For the past 2 trips (December and April) I've been using my trusty First Ascent Packlite (+5 as in PLUS five...). And I will be using it again this weekend in the Mnweni.

What I like about it is that it packs into a ball the size of a pineapple. However in -15 situations It's probably a bad idea... :woohoo:

I think what helps is that I sleep on an inflatable mattress - not the super thin expensive ones, but a R100 Camptrails one with six "fins" inflated seperately. Although three of the fins got punctures after a bivvy beneath the Sentinel after our Angus-Leppan adventure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2010 10:45 #1562 by mike
Replied by mike on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Thanks Intrepid im sure il have a cozy night in it :)
Gollum you must be half yeti ;) It looks like a warm weekend but if you looking for an upgrade i see Cape Union has great specials on this week!

More
05 Aug 2010 12:47 #1565 by ClimbyKel
Replied by ClimbyKel on topic Re: Sleeping bags
@ Serious Tribe 2
That's an excellent write up! Thanks for posting.

More
05 Aug 2010 13:56 #1566 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Re: Sleeping bags
gollum wrote:

Reading this makes me realise it's time for an upgrade...

For the past 2 trips (December and April) I've been using my trusty First Ascent Packlite (+5 as in PLUS five...). And I will be using it again this weekend in the Mnweni.

Sheesh gollum, hope you have a warm metabolism. You wouldn't catch me dead in a FA Packlite in the winter...or maybe you would! ;)

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
04 Oct 2010 16:29 #1857 by hartmrol
Replied by hartmrol on topic Re: Sleeping bags
.... on a related topic, any tips on "how to wash a down sleeping bag"?

Thanks
Rolf

More
04 Oct 2010 19:58 #1859 by bigseb
Replied by bigseb on topic Re: Sleeping bags
This thread has been very informative for me (a relative newcomer). Great insight and many tips - and many more questions raised...

More
04 Oct 2010 22:17 #1861 by madman
Replied by madman on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Hey Rolf
Down is tricky but rather simple,a lot of my kit is
Down from jackets to sleeping bags.

I have a first ascent ice wolf and wash it once
Every 4 months.to trick is to wash it in a bath
Tub,lay it flat and unzippered run cold water until
It is soaked and a little water is covering it,
Then just rub a soft sponge back and forth.unplug
And rinse by folding the bag don't wring it out
Cause it causes clumps in your down and a pain to
Loosen when drying.
Your second cycle is important go buy a product
Called down wash from nikwax you find it in cum
Or outdoor warehouse or get them to order,bu the
Way they make a great waterproofing and cleaner mix
Solution called tech wash.
Pou over while flat and add cold water you'll sea
The dirt wash out,be sparing with the stuff its gotten
Expensive but is the best,rinse again and dry out
Flat and a bit in the tumble dryer cool setting.

Sweet it will be like new in no time.

More
05 Oct 2010 08:53 #1862 by mike
Replied by mike on topic Re: Sleeping bags
I have a FA Fusion and I found it really hard to get the water to seep through the outer fabric to the down, it seems it only allows major seepage through the seams. This caused air pockets that were a reaal pain, had to get in the bath with the bag and lay flat on it for quite a while.

The trick might be to compress the sleeping bag in the carry sack and then put it in the water straight away.

More
07 Oct 2010 18:20 #1888 by Klipspringer
Replied by Klipspringer on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Hello Everybody,

While climbing in the Scottish winters and also earning a healthy GBP salary I bought a Mountain Equipment sleeping bag. Though ME products are exceptional quality, mine was put to serious and intense use, on average two out of three weekends (I was a truck driver of no fixed abode, spending most weekends in the mountains!) it still performs as good as the day I bought it, five years down the road.

The key factor is storage: never leave it compressed for longer than is neccessary, especially if it is a bit damp. Wash it once in a blue moon. I do not even store mine in the so-called "fluff bag", I leave it on the spare bedroom bed.

I have slept with mine plenty of times in the snow, no tent, just a plastic survaval bag underneath and many mornings I woke up completely covered in snow and I always remained warm and dry. That said, when the insulation is good and the outside temperature below -10°C the snow don't really melt, only above your face.

For very good advice on cleaning and washing, see www.alpkit.com/support/products/cleaning-down-sleeping-bags/

They also produce very good products at very good prices and offer excellent service.

Adios

More
11 Apr 2012 21:06 - 12 Apr 2012 05:26 #53512 by Mattalica
Replied by Mattalica on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Hi all, I have read as many sleeping bag posts on the forums as I can but I still am not sure of what sleeping bag or rather general spec I should be looking at for autumn/winter, escarpment, berg hikes.

I have an old K-way bag that was bought about 12 years ago rated at 0 degrees - synthetic. I might sound a little doff, but even after reading up I'm still not sure If a hike on the amphitheatre in April needs a minimum of 0, -5,-7,-10?

One of the previous posts says something to the effect, that maybe they should take a synthetic -7 bag and risk freezing....that makes me nervous as if a person is doubting a -7 then I need to go shopping.

I get extremely hot at night and evertime I've used this bag I end up completely unzipping it using it as if it where a duvet. I unfortunatly have never had a themometer with me and I haven't been on the escarpment before, and with that I don't really have any exprience to know how cold it gets on the escarpment. The coldest place I've been was the Giants cup during thick snow and I was hot in the bag.

-Sorry for the clear noobishness, but I hope you guys can help:)
Regards
Matt
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 05:26 by intrepid.

More