Sleeping bags

28 May 2012 21:03 #54110 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sleeping bags
Btw change in my view on Sleeping Bags, I always said sleep with lots of clothes on. Night 1 of GT I was really cold, TonyMarshall pointed out to me that a bag works of re-radiation of body heat and he suggested that I sleep wearing only my thermal inners. I tried that and it was far warmer than it was with lots of clothes on.

(My bag is a Mountain Hardware Pinole -7 bag, synthetic 1.4kg.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 08:12 #54188 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Sleeping bags
I happened to be in Sandton City on Friday & saw the FA Ice breaker as a store opening special at CUM for R1 399, they happened to be "sold out" already though :(

More
04 Jun 2012 10:17 #54190 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Sleeping bags
Was it advertised? Wow I'll take 4!!!

More
04 Jun 2012 10:20 #54191 by Smurfatefrog
They had pamphlets in store, not sure aside from that. The specials ended yesterday

More
12 Jul 2012 19:57 - 12 Jul 2012 19:57 #54622 by Smurfatefrog
Anyone had experience with the Deuter Orbit sleeping bags?
Looking at the -5 bag for R1200 at CUM
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 19:57 by Smurfatefrog.

More
08 Jul 2013 11:24 #57571 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Sleeping bags
My buddy used his FA Packlite +5 sleepingbag this past weekend ons the escarpment and survived! We slept in Crows nest cave on Friday night after ariving at 22:00 and in Ifidi cave ons Saturday night although we pitched a tent at Ifidi cave. He did not zip up his sleeping bag on Saturday because he complained that he felt cramped in the mummy bag. He used the FA thermal liner with the bag. The temp on Friday inside the cave was 0C. Acording to him it was cold but acceptable and he didn't loose sleep.

Ps: we also jumped into the tugela pool near the falls summit on Sunday. :silly: Great fun!

More
29 Jan 2014 12:35 - 29 Jan 2014 12:38 #59545 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Sleeping bags
In December 2013, in perfect summer weather (no rain and nearly no wind) I tried sleeping in a First Ascent Adventure Light (rated positive 5 degrees). We spent one night on the escarpment and one night in Mnweni valley. I also used the Thermolite Ultra Travel Sheet , which is supposed to add some warmth. I can safely say that this system is totally inadequate for any Berg trip. I froze both nights, until I eventually moved into my husband's bag on the second night. The temperature at 2 o'clock in the morning on the first night on the escarpment was 10 degrees inside the tent, and I was still waaaay too cold to sleep.

'Please accept the stimulation'
Last edit: 29 Jan 2014 12:38 by ruthtbl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghaznavid

More
29 Jan 2014 18:53 #59549 by Smurfatefrog

ruthtbl wrote: In December 2013, in perfect summer weather (no rain and nearly no wind) I tried sleeping in a First Ascent Adventure Light (rated positive 5 degrees). We spent one night on the escarpment and one night in Mnweni valley. I also used the Thermolite Ultra Travel Sheet , which is supposed to add some warmth. I can safely say that this system is totally inadequate for any Berg trip. I froze both nights, until I eventually moved into my husband's bag on the second night. The temperature at 2 o'clock in the morning on the first night on the escarpment was 10 degrees inside the tent, and I was still waaaay too cold to sleep.

Quite surprising!
My K-Way Chamonix kept me perfectly warm on the escarpment in December, which weights about the same as that bag + the travel sheet. I had considered that FA bag when buying the Chamonix
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
29 Jan 2014 20:54 - 29 Jan 2014 20:55 #59554 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Sleeping bags
Remember that experiential comfort of sleeping bags has a lot to do with individual metabolism. There are "cold sleepers" and "warm sleepers". Some people loose internal body heat very quickly and others seem to produce an excess. Typically woman tend to loose heat more quickly than guys. I happen to be a "cold sleeper" though, and usually wake up at 3-4am because the temperature dip. I have also struggled to keep warm in these very light sleeping bags during Berg summer nights on the escarpment.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2014 20:55 by intrepid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
30 Jan 2014 10:12 #59555 by ruthtbl
Replied by ruthtbl on topic Sleeping bags

Remember that experiential comfort of sleeping bags has a lot to do with individual metabolism. There are "cold sleepers" and "warm sleepers". Some people loose internal body heat very quickly and others seem to produce an excess. Typically woman tend to loose heat more quickly than guys. I happen to be a "cold sleeper" though, and usually wake up at 3-4am because the temperature dip. I have also struggled to keep warm in these very light sleeping bags during Berg summer nights on the escarpment.

This is all true, and unfortunately it is only possible to say for sure whether a bag will work or not once you have tried it out in the Berg. That being said, I would think twice about using this bag even if you are a "warm sleeper". At 2 am it was 10 degrees Celsius, which is 5 degrees warmer than the bag's rating, I was using a thermal liner and thermal underwear (and eventually added my fleece jacket in desperation) and I was still too cold to sleep. I have used various other borrowed bags on other hikes (both Kway and FA Icebreaker) in much colder conditions, and I have never been this frozen. Probably if you were couch-surfing or sleeping in backpacking huts this bag would be okay, but I would still be pretty cautious about using it in the mountains.

'Please accept the stimulation'

More