Sleeping bags

30 Jan 2014 14:30 #59566 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Sleeping bags

ruthtbl wrote:
Is this the bag? I paid over R1000 for my First Ascent Adventure Light bag :(
It is actually great to have a forum like this on which to share equipment experiences, as it is so easy these days to pay huge amounts of money and still not get quality performance.

No that's the -8 @ 1.6kg one which someone on this forum has and had good things to say about it on a related thread.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2014 16:30 #59569 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Sleeping bags
That was me, I have the -5 bag. Kept me perfectly warm, used above Rhino in May @ -5°C, and in Goats Cave in the August snow @ -2°C.
A friend has the -8 bag which he is also happy with
Thread - www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum/44-gear/55308-trail-sleeping-bags.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: ruthtbl

More
01 Feb 2014 07:52 #59582 by ASL
Replied by ASL on topic Sleeping bags
I've noticed that Due South sells the North Face Cats Meow bag for good price also. Can't recall the weight but it's light and warm. My only 'ding' is its pack size of because the synthetic fill doesn't pack as small as down. It's worth a look though...

More
14 Mar 2014 11:54 #59875 by hasamatt
Replied by hasamatt on topic Sleeping bags
I see that First Ascent have launched a new synthetic back called the AMPLIFY Range. www.firstascent.co.za/product-category/sleeping-bags/synthetic/

Does anyone have a review on any of these bags yet?

More
30 Mar 2014 15:41 #60095 by ozymandiasza
Replied by ozymandiasza on topic Sleeping bags
I took the -8 Mr Price sleeping bag to the Drakenbsberg last weekend. The first night wasn't that great. The zipper somehow broke during the night and I couldn't repair it no matter how much I tried that night. I managed to fold the sleeping bag with my arm, sleeping only on one side the entire night. The next morning I managed to fix the zipper and had quite a pleasant night during night two.

It kept me warm though when most of my party had complained about the cold, so no faults there.

More
30 Mar 2014 17:56 #60096 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Sleeping bags
I should hope it kept you warm considering the rating!! After-all it is only early Autumn! :)

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
31 Mar 2014 13:53 #60109 by Richard Hunt
Replied by Richard Hunt on topic Sleeping bags
Hi Guys, I went through last winter with a Mr Price -8 bag and it never let me down even in the coldest times. It has a new type of filling and with its compression straps folds into a small bundle. Just as important is to have a well insulated mat as the 2 work hand in hand.

More
03 Apr 2014 09:09 #60168 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Sleeping bags
My discussion with ASL on the Sale Warning thread sparked some more web searching for lightweight (SA) winter bags. I'm still convinced that quilts are an option, even though it seems nobody is using them here. I found this, which seems pretty good value:
The Enlightened Equipment Enigma 750 (review of similar bag by same manufacturer here). It costs USD265 for a 10 deg F (-12 deg C) bag which weighs under 650g! This should be good enough for the 'Berg in the winter, coupled with a decent sleeping pad and the right clothes. The 0F/-17C bag costs USD10 more and weighs about 730g. The higher fill bags are lighter but cost significantly more.

To recap, the idea behind a quilt is that the bottom of a sleeping bag is compressed, and doesn't offer any insulation so we may as well cut it off, especially if using a proper sleeping pad.

More
03 Apr 2014 10:12 #60174 by hikers delight
Replied by hikers delight on topic Sleeping bags
From what I can see, the quilt does not have a hoodie to cover your head, which I find very important when its cold, as so much heat gets lost through the head.

Western Mountaineering has a fantastic -7 ultralight sleeping bag, the 6 foot one weighing only 820g. Check it out here:
www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=sleeping%20bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17

More
03 Apr 2014 10:17 - 03 Apr 2014 10:20 #60177 by Josh of the Bushveld
Replied by Josh of the Bushveld on topic Sleeping bags
It doesn't have a hood. I'm not sure how much I've used my hood in the past TBH (but may not have been that cold either). The suggestion on a lot of other gear and review sites is to use a separate down hood, similar to a balaclava, e.g. as described here (another 40g).
Last edit: 03 Apr 2014 10:20 by Josh of the Bushveld.

More