Sleeping bags

03 Apr 2014 14:09 #60181 by hikers delight
Replied by hikers delight on topic Sleeping bags
Then you obviously have not been in really cold weather yet!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 11:09 #60195 by relevitt
Replied by relevitt on topic Sleeping bags
Any views on whether -7 is OK for mid-May? It's a Lamina 20.

Will have decent tent (Nammatj) and winter mat.

More
04 Apr 2014 12:10 #60198 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Sleeping bags
Last year we camped on the escarpment on 19 May during fairly typical mid May weather and it was -5C. If a cold front comes through in the days before your hike, it could obviously get colder than that, so just something to bear in mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: relevitt

More
04 Aug 2014 22:42 #61461 by pwiersma
Replied by pwiersma on topic Sleeping bags
Hi All,

I am looking for some advise.

I am needing to replace my old Berg Master Ice Breaker sleeping bag.

This sleeping bag has done well but it is not just to heavy, and just not quite warm enough in colder weather.

Needing so advise on what sleeping bag people would recommend? Whether it is worth spending the extra money for a down bag, compared to the microfiber?

I am looking for a bag that is good at the higher altitudes and with keep me warm in winter.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

More
05 Aug 2014 23:51 #61474 by eras
Replied by eras on topic Sleeping bags
Hi Paul

I recently went through the process of buying new bags for my wife and I.

The bags that I looked at was the:
  • First Ascent Ice Breaker -8º R2500 (on sale at) CUM
  • First Ascent Fusion 600 -5º R2800 at Drifters
  • K-Way Kilimanjaro 2 Thermashift -8º R2500 at CUM
  • Northface Blue Kazoo -4º R2500 at Dues South
All 4 bags are down, between 1.2kg and 1.45kg. All 4 seemed like good bags.

I ended up going for the Ice Breaker, it has baffles that run all the way around and(with a bit of work) one can shift the down to the bottom and use the bag in warmer temps.

Whether I made the right decision or not I will be able to tell you after this weekend – I'm breaking it in on a Zulu and Stable cave trip this weekend.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andrew r

More
30 Oct 2014 23:08 #62222 by Wezleyb
Replied by Wezleyb on topic Sleeping bags
Hi guys

Anyone have any idea how these camp masters might do in winter on the berg?

www.campmaster.co.za/product/expedition-450c/454/

Theres 2, good price and rate -8 and -10 for comfort.

More
30 Oct 2014 23:23 #62223 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Sleeping bags
Imo you should never take a chance on your sleeping bag. If every item of gear fails, your sleeping bag may be the difference between life and death ahead of anything else.

It is important to know how to survive a soaked bag, day hike without a bag gone bad etc (see emergency bivy protocol thread), but it is advisable not to let it get that far unless absolutely necessary.

I only first camped on the escarpment in winter last year, winter escarpment hiking is usually ok, but it has a potentail to go really badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wezleyb

More
31 Oct 2014 08:05 #62225 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Sleeping bags
I would be cautious of those bags. Just from the point of view that Campmaster doesn't really have a reputation as a technical brand and in my opinion would still need to prove themselves.

That said, I'd check the weight of those bags, probably on the heavy side. Also if those ratings are true they'd be far too warm for summer hiking.

If you read through this thread you'd probably get a good idea of decent and good value bags.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More
31 Oct 2014 10:32 #62229 by Wezleyb
Replied by Wezleyb on topic Sleeping bags
Hey, do you think the Mr Price -8 bag with a good liner would suffice for Kili? I don't know the difference between Winter in the Drakensberg and conditions on Kili. Some thread's say that a -8 is fine for Kili?

I am referring to Richard Hunt's post on this thread:

"Hi Guys, I went through last winter with a Mr Price -8 bag and it never let me down even in the coldest times. It has a new type of filling and with its compression straps folds into a small bundle. Just as important is to have a well insulated mat as the 2 work hand in hand.
Richard Hunt"

More
31 Oct 2014 11:38 #62230 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Sleeping bags
Hi Wezleyb,

For a warm nights sleep you need to consider multiple things, not just the temperature rating of a bag. Your physical condition, nutrition (fat/oil typically generates more heat - ask the Eskimo's), shelter (out of the wind is better) and insulation from the ground (inflatable mattress) all helps together to make you sleep warmer. Two weekends ago I used a FA Adventure Light down sleeping bag (rated +5) with an Inferno bag liner (supposedly adds 7 degrees)in my double wall tent and I was fine, even though there was frost on the tent the next morning.

However, people differ and my wife would freeze in that bag, so she used her FA Ice Nino (-5 degrees) and was fine.

More