Sleeping bags

12 Apr 2012 06:51 #53516 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Personally I always feel that the clothes you wear and what is between the ground and you make a bigger difference than the bag itself. I am using a Mountain Hardware Pinole -7 bag for my GT this month, combined with thermal inners, I will be sleeping in 2 pairs of thermal pants and shirts and wearing a thermal fleece, thermal socks and gloves when I go to bed. This combined with a self-inflating mattress which significantly reduces the amount of heat you loose to a cold ground should be more than adequate. Also remember that a tent is usually warmer than a cave, so it really depends.

Last year at contour path level I was adequately warm without thermal inners in a -2 K-Way Alpine Cowl bag, so the same bag with thermals would probably have been ok at escarpment level.

To be safe, take a space blanket in addition to everything else, it isn't comfortable and it will make you sweat, but if it is really cold you can avoid going "through the never" and I will not become "unforgiven" by you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattalica

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2012 07:27 - 12 Apr 2012 07:32 #53518 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: Sleeping bags

ghaznavid wrote: you can avoid going "through the never" and I will not become "unforgiven" by you :)

Smartass, & hopefully he wont get Trapped Under Ice & feel like he needs to Jump In The Fire :P

Good luck for your GT BTW, expect a full 5 page write up with pics on your return!
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 07:32 by Smurfatefrog.

More
12 Apr 2012 07:47 #53519 by ghaznavid
I was going to respond with a reference to the Memory Remaining and Nothing Else Mattering, but lets not go down that road :lol:

Thanks, I will have a nice long writeup on the GT, and I expect to take many photos (3000 is my goal), so that will be good...

More
12 Apr 2012 11:37 #53522 by Boerkie
Replied by Boerkie on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Sleeping bags.... probably my favorite topic of all time on VE! I love it.

I've read all that everyone has to say about sleeping comfortable in cold berg conditions, hear my thoughts.

1. If you are a cold sleeper, go for -15 for all others FA Ice breaker :thumbsup:
2. Use a bag liner. I like the idea of making your own out of polar fleece, thx.
3. Use a foam mat of a foam & self inflatable combo but not just self inflatable.
4. Put a good thermal base layer on but don't over dress as you need to have unrestricted blood flow to all limbs to keep warm.
5. Cover your head with a beanie or polartech buff and use the cowl of the bag.
6. Have a high carb meal before bed and drink a hot beverage inside the bag before sleeping.
7. Don't pick fights with your tent buddy, you might want to spoon him/her in the early morning hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kliktrak, Mattalica

More
12 Apr 2012 12:48 #53526 by Mattalica
Replied by Mattalica on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Haha, I'm seriously loving all the metallica references :thumbsup: - it's kind of weird when you sit at a PC and find yourself bursting out laughing and people look at you funny...

So after reading everyones comments and the previous posts as well, I am a little more confident to use my bag with all the other accessories on the amphitheatre at the end of the month. Who knows, I might get a little cold if I don't use my brain, and in turn, the rest of my gear correctly, but at least I will learn if I need a newer better bag in the process. I'm sure I wont peg.

By the way those referencing "jump in the fire" "Trapped under ice" "Nothing else matters""memory remains" ect ect ect....you guys have got some flippen amazing taste in music, as if you didn't, you would not know those names.... especially trapped under ice !

Regards
Matt

More
13 Apr 2012 09:30 #53537 by ghaznavid
@Matt: Good luck with your hike, I hope it doesn't become like my hike for this weekend - The Day That Never Comes... Yet another hike cancelled :( (just had to do 1 more)

More
14 Apr 2012 06:00 #53554 by Wizman
Replied by Wizman on topic Re: Sleeping bags
The trick is to zip them together ,then spoon.

More
14 Apr 2012 07:30 #53556 by drsnoobab
Replied by drsnoobab on topic Re: Sleeping bags
But wait, it goes further - ever heard of Eisbrecher ? German techno-metal band, which is best played loud when the neighbours are far away, and then there's Rammstein's Rosenrot album - the entire cover-art is dedicated to an Ice Breaker theme.

Seems to me First Ascent is choosing some pretty devious ways to push subliminal messages at us !

More
27 May 2012 17:54 #54089 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Re: Sleeping bags
Just to clarify some things... the general way of discussing a bag is by season but a season in the little berg is a lot different to the escarpment, so quite a few people are satisfied with the FA Icebreaker which is rated -8, is this adequate on the escarpment in winter? And would a -5 or even a 0 rating be ok for little berg winters as long as you are properly insulated?

More
28 May 2012 15:09 #54105 by JonWells
Replied by JonWells on topic Re: Sleeping bags
@Smurfatefrog

Last year in June/July I slept without issues in a Giants Castle valley when the temp was -7°C. My sleeping bag is rated -5°C but I was wearing a good couple layers of clothing as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smurfatefrog

More