Water Watch 2015

19 May 2015 10:53 #63848 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Water Watch 2015
Supported. So, any advise on where water is available between Corner pass and Giants pass?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2015 21:19 #63901 by GrahamV
Replied by GrahamV on topic Water Watch 2015
Hi All. A water watch is a great idea. Did a hike last year in October in the upper berg Amphitheatre area and had a rather thirst 4 days as it was dry as a bone.

I'm going on a hike in a 10 days time, route Keith's bush camp, grays pass, nkosasana cave, Leslie's pass, injasuti. Anyone know if there is water in that area, specifically up top. Im not to enthusiastic about another 4 thirsty days.

More
22 May 2015 06:56 #63904 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Water Watch 2015

Hi All. A water watch is a great idea. Did a hike last year in October in the upper berg Amphitheatre area and had a rather thirst 4 days as it was dry as a bone.

I'm going on a hike in a 10 days time, route Keith's bush camp, grays pass, nkosasana cave, Leslie's pass, injasuti. Anyone know if there is water in that area, specifically up top. Im not to enthusiastic about another 4 thirsty days.

The rivers above Grays & Leslies generally flow all year, so you won't have issues now.
Grays will have water at its base, KBC
Leslies will have water from part way up the pass (prob about 2500m)

More
22 May 2015 09:34 #63908 by Riaang
Middle June 2015, where can I expect to find water on the escarpment between Corner pass and Giants pass? Looks like at the bottom of all the ridges there are rivers, would they still have water for this time of year?

More
22 May 2015 09:43 #63909 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Water Watch 2015

Middle June 2015, where can I expect to find water on the escarpment between Corner pass and Giants pass? Looks like at the bottom of all the ridges there are rivers, would they still have water for this time of year?

Corner Pass might have usable ice on it near the top, but there probably won't be much water above contour path level.

Once you pass Giants Cave(s) you leave the riverbed on Giants Pass, and if you take the (easier) east route, which basically zig zags down the grass slope on the ridge of Giants Pass Peak, you will only see water on the contour path if the side streams aren't dry. You could always double back to the base of the pass, but it is rather overgrown.

More
22 May 2015 09:48 #63910 by Riaang
@Ghaz, my question relates to water above 3000m rather than at contour path levels. Plan is to go up Corner pass then South to Giants pass. Final day will be descending Giants pass and back to the carpark.

More
22 May 2015 09:57 #63912 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Water Watch 2015
You will get about 1km north of Corner, maybe before
Between Popple and Bannerman Pass
Behind Langies

I haven't been on the Jarateng side but I generally check on GE and if you can see water on GE then its safe to assume there'll be water there all year, unless its really dry, but June should be fine

More
22 May 2015 10:07 #63913 by ghaznavid

@Ghaz, my question relates to water above 3000m rather than at contour path levels. Plan is to go up Corner pass then South to Giants pass. Final day will be descending Giants pass and back to the carpark.

Only noticed the word "escarpment" now.

As Smurf says - and the Jarateng valley has a bigger river than all the others, so you should be fine in that valley as well.

More
22 May 2015 15:42 #63927 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Water Watch 2015
There is a small waterfall high up the Jarateng at S29 19.586 E29 26.888. I seem to recall this being iced up in July before, meaning there generally should be water there at least till mid-winter.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
22 May 2015 16:00 #63929 by ghaznavid

There is a small waterfall high up the Jarateng at S29 19.586 E29 26.888.

This one?

Photo taken in September 2013. The water didn't look very clean in that pool, but there was enough flowing water above it for it to not be an issue. This isn't that far from the top of the Long Wall ridge and has plenty of nice camping ground just above it.

This is what it looks like in summer:

Please login or register to view the images attached to this post.

The following user(s) said Thank You: summertt

More