Water Watch 2015

22 May 2015 16:01 - 22 May 2015 16:02 #63930 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Water Watch 2015
Thats the one, yes. Well if it had water in September thats a very good sign, even better than in July.

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.
Last edit: 22 May 2015 16:02 by intrepid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2015 20:15 #64036 by GrahamV
Replied by GrahamV on topic Water Watch 2015
Just done the following route from 26 May 15 - 29 May 15
- Monks cowl to Keith bush camp: Water supply good at most streams and rivers. Stream next to Keiths bush camp has a small trickle of water in it (not going to flow for much longer unless there is snow)
- Keith bush camp, up grays pass, camp near vultures retreat: Stream at the top of grays pass is flowing strong.
- Vultures retreat along escarpment to Leslies pass: water supply good in all the rivers. Rivers are flowing nicely.
- Leslies pass - Injasuthi camp: Water supply good in all the rivers at the bottom of Leslies pass to Injasuthi camp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: domsmooth, JonWells, Drakensbergie, Dillon

More
07 Jul 2015 12:59 #64488 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Water Watch 2015

- Keith bush camp, up grays pass, camp near vultures retreat: Stream at the top of grays pass is flowing strong.

Can anyone confirm if the stream at the top of Grays Pass, on the escarpment, is still flowing strong at the moment?

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

More
07 Jul 2015 20:00 #64493 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Water Watch 2015
What is the like likelihood of water at the first stream after Blind Man's corner if one turns right? And at BMC campsite? End of July
Thanks

More
09 Jul 2015 09:35 #64500 by Dillon
Replied by Dillon on topic Water Watch 2015

Can anyone confirm if the stream at the top of Grays Pass, on the escarpment, is still flowing strong at the moment?

Anyone? :whistle:

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous."

More
09 Jul 2015 09:39 #64501 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Water Watch 2015
I haven't been in that valley for a while, but it was flowing strong in the middle of winter when I was up there a few years back - I don't think it will be an issue. The one to worry about is the river below the pass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dillon

More
09 Jul 2015 13:49 #64502 by tonymarshall
Replied by tonymarshall on topic Water Watch 2015
Agree with ghaz, the Nkosazana River near the top of Grays Pass has water throughout the year.

We didn't go up Grays, but went almost to Keith Bush Camp, on the VE Pine Tree trip two weekends ago, and all of the streams in the area had more water than expected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dillon

More
24 Aug 2015 09:37 #64846 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic Water Watch 2015
Hi All,

We're planning on hiking from MCC up Ifidi pass, then South around the Mnwenbi cutback and then down Mnweni pass this weekend. Anyone been on this route recently? Can anyone advise on the water availability for this trip?

More
24 Aug 2015 11:50 #64847 by Drakensbergie
Replied by Drakensbergie on topic Water Watch 2015
Last year this time, we didn't find any water between Ifidi and Mbundini. After that only in the river inland from the top of Fangs Pass. Haven't been there recently though, but I would play it safe and carry a full day's extra water up the pass.

More
26 Aug 2015 15:37 #64853 by AndrewP
Replied by AndrewP on topic Water Watch 2015
That would mean hiking up Ifidi (in a day) with 2 days water in your bag. I stand back and watch in respect.

Last year in that long weekend at the end of September, Intrepid and I were in the Ifidi area. The rivers all over were very dry but we did find enough water to drink. I am sure you will also find some. If you are worried, take various tablets and enough fuel to boil it all.

Ditch bags at top of pass and split group so the eager beavers can go for a walk - follow obvious river downstream until you find water. If none soon, hang a left at the first river coming in from your left looking into Lesotho, maybe 400m away from escarpment - we found water quite far up this and not too far from the caves.

The next day, you might well have to walk beyond Fangs to get water, but I expect you would find some in the valley heading up to Stimela Peak.

More