Water Watch

18 May 2015 15:46 #63818 by ghaznavid
Water Watch was created by ghaznavid
From Drakensberg Hiker's FB page - top of Tugela Falls last week:

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2015 17:29 - 18 May 2015 17:29 #63825 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Water Watch
Unless we have some decent rain / snow fall it looks like escarpment hiking is going to be a mission this winter.
Last edit: 18 May 2015 17:29 by diverian.

More
18 May 2015 18:10 - 18 May 2015 18:12 #63826 by Wezleyb
Replied by Wezleyb on topic Water Watch
diverian, are you saying its going to be dry and not much water up there? I have not dont any escarpment hiking in the winter but would like to give it a go this winter. Any idea what the temperatures are over night maybe? Chances of snow in the north? Cheers
Last edit: 18 May 2015 18:12 by Wezleyb.

More
18 May 2015 18:28 #63828 by GerritHuman
Replied by GerritHuman on topic Water Watch
I agree with Diverian, if you look in the pictures posted earlier today you can see the top of the Tugela waterfall is dry. That means it's dry up there. Near the waterfall there will be puddles with water in, just boil it good and you will be okay.

Its funny its so dry, I thought a few weekends ago there was a few millimeters of snow?

More
18 May 2015 18:46 #63829 by Smurfatefrog
Replied by Smurfatefrog on topic Water Watch

Wezleyb wrote: diverian, are you saying its going to be dry and not much water up there? I have not dont any escarpment hiking in the winter but would like to give it a go this winter. Any idea what the temperatures are over night maybe? Chances of snow in the north? Cheers

Wes, in winter the escarpment can be anything from zero down to -10°C, but would probably average a few below freezing. Last year was extremely dry, you kinda need to plan your hike around known reliable rivers. North generally gets less snow, but its impossible to tell at this stage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Wezleyb

More
18 May 2015 19:11 #63831 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Water Watch
@Wezleyb:

The biggest rivers are generally reliable, although last year was so dry that in July, a team made up of Fitness, Hobbit and myself, had to walk 2km into Lesotho to find stagnant water in the Mzimude River. Bear in mind that I am talking about one of the larger escarpment rivers. In September when I did a 136km hike in the usually wet southern Berg, the Mlambonja River down Mashai Pass was dry to about 2100m and the rivers in every valley aside from the one above Mashai Pass, north of the Leqooa Ridge and the Piseneng River were bone dry. The ones with water sometimes had a small trickle, but mostly just occasional stagnant pools.

If you are running out of water, follow the river downstream and you should find something eventually, but perhaps try to avoid the drier valleys - above Organ Pipes Pass, Tseke Valley etc.

The river by Rat Hole Cave was almost dry a few weeks ago, so I rate we are in for a very dry winter.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, Drakensbergie, Wezleyb

More
18 May 2015 19:44 #63832 by Drakensbergie
Replied by Drakensbergie on topic Water Watch
Hi all

It has already been remarked that we appear to be in for a dry winter. Perhaps a water watch thread, similar to Snow Watch etc. is in order. Updates of water availability from members hiking through areas, GPS locations etc...

Just thinking here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian

More
19 May 2015 08:27 - 19 May 2015 08:29 #63840 by diverian
Replied by diverian on topic Water Watch
Thanks DarkwingDave, good idea. I have moved the recent posts to this topic.
Last edit: 19 May 2015 08:29 by diverian.

More
19 May 2015 09:35 #63844 by intrepid
Replied by intrepid on topic Water Watch
Seems a good initiative as related questions come up often enough. Enough support from the community to make it an annual thread?

Take nothing but litter, leave nothing but a cleaner Drakensberg.

More
19 May 2015 10:09 #63845 by Viking
Replied by Viking on topic Water Watch
Good idea I think.

“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

More