The upcoming hikes thread

27 Mar 2018 18:48 #73079 by Rhinoandhedgehog
We will be about Monks Cowl this weekend. Cant believe it our first trip to the berg this year... cant wait...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2018 19:22 #73080 by AfricaBen1
I'm taking my wife for her first overnight hike in the Berg on Good Friday. We have booked Wonder Valley Cave. Any recommendations of good hikes that aren't too difficult to get to the cave would be much appreciated (beyond hiking from Injusuthi camp straight up Vam Heyningen's Pass to the cave would be appreciated)

Does anyone know what the state of the path between Grindstone Cave and Cateract Valley is. As pointed out by my finger in the attached.

Please login or register to view the image attached to this post.

More
09 Apr 2018 15:35 #73143 by Sabine
Replied by Sabine on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Anyone hiking in the Berg the long weekend end of April?

More
10 Apr 2018 10:46 #73148 by swordfish
Replied by swordfish on topic The upcoming hikes thread

Sabine wrote: Anyone hiking in the Berg the long weekend end of April?

I'm planning to camp at Royal Natal and do day hikes around the area.

More
10 Apr 2018 18:25 #73155 by Richard Hunt
Hi Guys....Elinda and myself are planning to go up the Amphitheater on the 27th April. Tent near Beacon Buttress/The Gully on Friday evening and tent near Ribbon Falls on Saturday evening returning on Sunday to car park.
You are welcome to tent and walk with us, also do your own thing if you want during the day. The focus is to provide a tenting together in numbers for safety, during the evenings. Let us know if you are keen? email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
10 Apr 2018 18:40 #73156 by Papa Dragon

Richard Hunt wrote: Hi Guys....Elinda and myself are planning to go up the Amphitheater on the 27th April. Tent near Beacon Buttress/The Gully on Friday evening and tent near Ribbon Falls on Saturday evening returning on Sunday to car park.
You are welcome to tent and walk with us, also do your own thing if you want during the day. The focus is to provide a tenting together in numbers for safety, during the evenings. Let us know if you are keen? email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I'm in....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Hunt

More
12 Apr 2018 12:31 #73186 by Riaang
Replied by Riaang on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Hi Ben,

The only other way I know of to get to WW cave is via Shada ridge, but then you would have to start at Moncs Cowl camp. Also lots of nice trails around there. Spent last weekend at Injasuthi, with the kids and family and visited grindstone caves and Marble baths cave. Rivers were full which made walking up the riverbeds quite difficult, especially with small children. The path from marble baths cave to Grindstone cave (the first section around the bend and then up the ridge) was basically overgrown or under water so we just went straight up the ridge - much easier with the kids. This route is marked in a solid red line on the map, so your dotted (or striped) line might involve some bushwacking.

For your wife's first hike rather stay on the main paths (so the main path from grindstone caves to Marble baths cave up to the last ridge was fine). I am sure she will find it more enjoyable than bundu-bashing or wading through tall wet grass or falling into rivers and getting wet etc. You can also walk up to Centenary hut for some really nice escarpment views, about 10km's from camp with just one serious hill to climb (heartbreak hill). enjoy!

More
25 Apr 2018 09:42 - 25 Apr 2018 09:45 #73304 by ChantelC
Replied by ChantelC on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Is there anyone hiking in the Berg this weekend (27April - 2May) who would like some company?
We were planning on joining a group going up Hlatimba pass and down eNtubeni, but since the group has gone down to 2 ladies this morning, we would like to rather join another group.
You can email me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2018 09:45 by ChantelC.

More
23 May 2018 14:37 #73541 by HenkSeevinck
Anybody planning, or wanting to plan something in the berg for the weekend of 22 - 24 Jun. I'm open to suggestions or to join in if you already have plans. Comming from Centurion and can provide transport for 3 - 4. PM me.

More
09 Aug 2018 16:25 #73809 by Papa Dragon
Thinking of a Bushman's Nek hike to check out the snow...

Probably Bushman's cave on Saturday night, but might try Walker's Pass/Corncob depending on the snowfall.

Looking for someone to join, if you're keen give me a shout..

More