The upcoming hikes thread

14 Mar 2016 12:05 #67334 by GerritHuman

DesPorter wrote: When I was in Jhb and came down to Giants I used to camp in Escourt resort at the Wagendrift dam. Then drive down from there past White mountain inn.

ghaznavid wrote: Mountain Shadows is quite nice, it is about 5km along the Highmoor road.

Thanks DesPorter and ghaznavid for the suggestions.

I phoned Giants Castle and they said no we cannot camp there. They gave me a number for White Mountain Lodge (www.whitemountain.co.za -if they have a website, they must be good) where I eventually booked. They are only 31km from Giants Castle.

Costs R340 for 5 people.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2016 17:41 #67337 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic The upcoming hikes thread

GerritHuman wrote: I phoned Giants Castle and they said no we cannot camp there.

Interesting - I lasted camped there 2 weeks ago.

More
18 Mar 2016 09:14 #67391 by IANMCD
Replied by IANMCD on topic The upcoming hikes thread
We will be a group of 6 leaving tomorrow morning from Mont-aux Sources to Giants Castle. Doing it is 7 days. Some nights in Caves, the rest in tents.

More
18 Mar 2016 14:18 #67392 by andrew r
Replied by andrew r on topic The upcoming hikes thread
Happy hiking everyone out in the mountains this long-weekend, Easter weekend and the time in between. Be safe, have fun and enjoy the moment. Looking forward to a flurry of trip reports afterwards :thumbsup:

make a difference. today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: diverian, ghaznavid, Papa Dragon

More
24 Mar 2016 10:23 #67457 by tonymarshall
Hi IANMCD,

It was good to meet you and your group at Twins Cave on Monday night. Glad I found your glasses on the path and could return them to you.

More
27 Mar 2016 12:57 #67484 by Papa Dragon
Anyone doing, or keen for a day hike in PMB or Highway area tomorrow? (Monday 28)
Let me know......

More
27 Mar 2016 17:17 #67485 by flying.morad
Hi all,

I'm doing a North Drankenserg Traverse around April 5/6.
I start at Sentinel Car Park and finish at Cathedral Peak Hotel.
My route follows the escarpment and will go through or close to the following passes : Ifidi, Icidi, Fangs, Rwanqa, Pins, Mnweni, Rockeries, Ntonjelana, Mlambonja.

I am alone. You are welcome to join me !

More
19 Apr 2016 11:11 #67887 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Cowl Pass

AndrewP wrote:
I would thus think it is possible, but also think that it will be much quicker and easier to use the contour path. How adventurous are you?

:D I want to walk in to BMC in the evening and then spend the following day on Sterkhorn, Turret and Amphlett. Probably end up overnighting at BMC again, just thought that it would be pleasant to use Cowl Fork campsite...

More
19 Apr 2016 19:54 #67904 by Papa Dragon
Replied by Papa Dragon on topic Cowl Pass

Papa Dragon wrote: :D I want to walk in to BMC in the evening and then spend the following day on Sterkhorn, Turret and Amphlett. Probably end up overnighting at BMC again, just thought that it would be pleasant to use Cowl Fork campsite...

Anyone keen to join? Apologies if in the wrong place...

More
19 Apr 2016 20:01 #67906 by ghaznavid
Replied by ghaznavid on topic Cowl Pass

Papa Dragon wrote:

Papa Dragon wrote: :D I want to walk in to BMC in the evening and then spend the following day on Sterkhorn, Turret and Amphlett. Probably end up overnighting at BMC again, just thought that it would be pleasant to use Cowl Fork campsite...

Anyone keen to join? Apologies if in the wrong place...

Didn't know you did technical climbing. Turret and Amphlett are fun - the move on Amphlett is easy (aside from the massive drop if you overbalance). The climb on Turret is pretty easy, but if you most certainly wouldn't want to down-climb that one!

Can't imagine carrying all the gear over Cowl Pass though - well, unless you wanted to climb Cathkin or Cowl (or both) while up there.

More